Day of Event Guide
AIDS Walk Atlanta & 5K Run 2013 will take place in beautiful Piedmont Park Sunday, October 20, 2013.
Day of Event Schedule
|7:00 AM-5:00 PM
||Volunteer Check In (time depends on assignment)
|11:00 AM-12:30 PM
||5K Run Day of Event Registration (closes at 12:30 pm)
|11:30 AM-2:00 PM
||Check In (Walker & Extra Mile Club)
||5K Run Begins
|1:00 PM-1:30 PM
||Pre-Ceremony Concert & Warm Up
|1:30 PM-2:00 PM
||5K Walk Begins
|2:00 PM-4:00 PM
||Late Check-In (Walker & EMC)
|2:30 PM-4:00 PM
||Post Walk/Run Activities
What to Bring
• Your collected donations (please convert cash into a cashier’s check or money order)
• Your completed donation form
Please note - One donation form and envelope per participant, please!
The best way to get to AIDS Walk Atlanta & 5K Run is by taking MARTA to the Midtown Station. Upon exiting the Midtown Station, walk East on 10th Street (toward Peachtree Street) and continue on 10th until you reach Piedmont Park on your left. You will see your fellow participants in the meadow area of the park. Head to the Check In tent and join the fun!
Traveling by car is not recommended. Parking in the neighborhood around The Meadow and along the route will be severely limited. Watch for posted parking regulation signs. If you must drive, please use the Piedmont Park’s Sage parking lot. There is a fee. MARTA is smarter!
What do I do when I arrive at the event?
If you raised funds online or have funds to turn in
• Head to the Check-In tent in Piedmont Park to turn-in all last-minute donations. Please make sure that your donation form & envelope have your name & the name of your team on them. All registered participants (individuals AND members of a team) who have raised funds (does not include the registration fee) need to Check In.
• In order to give appropriate credit for fundraising, each donation form & envelope should only have one participant name on them.
• In order to expedite the check-in process, please have your donation amounts totaled prior to arriving at the Check-In tent.
• If you are eligible for fundraising awards, you will be given a colored bracelet which can be used to collect your fundraising awards. Awards are for individual fundraising efforts.
• Once checked in, then proceed to your team meeting space or the fundraising awards tent.
If you did NOT raise funds online and do NOT have funds to turn in
• Proceed to the Donation tent. We ask you to donate to support AIDS Walk Atlanta & 5K Run.
• Proceed to your team meeting space.
Volunteer photographers will be on hand to take a team photo of you and your group. E-mail us after the event (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get a copy of your photo. Team photos will be taken between 12 PM and 1:45 PM. Gather your team near the AWA5K banner in the meadow and photographers will snap your picture. Team photos will not be available after the Walk begins. We recommend carrying a team sign so that your team can be identified in photos and along the walk route. Have fun, be creative and show your AIDS Walk Atlanta & 5K Run pride.
Additional Tips and Suggestions
• Pick a team meeting spot in advance. This will be a good frame of reference should you and the members of your team get separated.
• We recommend that you bring a cell phone to the park so that you can contact those you are hoping to meet up with. There will be no announcements for “lost folks” from the stage.
• You should wear comfortable, light clothing such as shorts and comfortable tennis shoes. If the weather forecast calls for it, bring sunglasses; sunscreen; a disposable poncho or an umbrella in case of rain; and any other personal items you might need. AIDS Walk Atlanta & 5K Run is Rain or Shine!
• Teams Land: A special meeting area for those who qualify based on size of the team, deadlines apply. All tables and chairs in Team Land will be broken down by 4 PM the day of the Walk. Please do not leave your items unattended. (See more about Teams Land in the Team Captain’s Kit.)
• Water and portalets will be available along the route. Refreshments will be available to all registered participants after completing the Walk.
• Please check the weather forecast in advance and dress appropriately.
• Enjoy the day!